Today we focus our efforts on Fighting Waste and Hunger which also coincides with Sodexo’s Global Waste-Less Day. To participate in the challenge pick up a form at the COG or download one here.
Here are some of the promo’s we are running today to encourage people to Waste-Less:
- The COG will be passing out samples in order to encourage people to try the dish before they take the entire plate.
- All retail locations are offering a 99cent drip coffee to anyone who brings in a Reusable Cup.
Here are a just a few things we are doing every day to Fight Hunger and Waste-Less:
- In 2008, we eliminated the sale of our #1 best selling item: Water Bottles. We were one of the first campuses to do so.
- Also in 2008, we eliminated trays in the COG in order reduce post consumer food waste and save water.
- Every year we raise money and volunteer for 2nd Harvest through a variety of outlets including Helping Hands, a golf tournament and auction. Last year we donated over $15,000 to help fight hunger.
- We work with Communities in Schools to help provide backpacks filled with food to help supply underprivileged elementary students with meals on the weekends.
- We compost, donate what we can to Campus Kitchen and Recycle.
- We use a program called LeanPath to help track our waste and raise awareness.
- We won Recycler of the Year in conjunction with Gonzaga awarded by Washington State Recycler’s Association.
- We have eliminated all Styrofoam on campus.
- We offer cup discounts for using a reusable cup.
- We always print on recyclable paper.
- We recycle all of our fryer oil to turn it into bio diesel.
Here are a few things YOU can do to help fight hunger and waste-less:
- Donate to our Helping Hands Campaign starting October 29th to benefit Second Harvest Inland Northwest.
- Purchase items at our Retail Locations that give back to the Sodexo Foundation which mission is to fight hunger.
- Take only what you can eat, you can always go back for more.
- Ask for a sample before taking a whole plate.
- Plan meals before you go shopping so you only buy what you need.
- Use a reusable water bottle and/or coffee mug.
- Use bulk condiments
- Buy in bulk when possible
- Bring a reusable bag to the store
- Print double sided on recyclable paper
Tell us what you are doing today on twitter by using the hashtag #sustainabilitychallenge and you will instantly (@zagdining)!