Thank you for volunteering for Reforest Spokane Day!
We will be meeting at 8:30 AM at Desmet Circle. Our planting site is Sky Prairie Park (about 5 miles away from campus), if you are driving, click here are directions.
- If you have them please bring your own shovel and gloves! We hope to provide as many shovels as possible, but we may run out depending on how many people show up.
- Also if you have access to a car, please bring it! While we do have a bus coming we can only guarantee spots for the first 50 or so people to show up and it would help greatly if we had a few back-up vehicles.
- Please dress in warm, comfortable clothes. Suggested: Sturdy boots or shoes (no opened-toe), long pants, a warm shirt/sweater, and water-resistant jacket or coat.
- If you have family or friends visiting, feel free to bring them along for the event.
- The weather forecast shows Saturday’s weather to be a high of 58° with a chance of rain.
- Snacks, coffee and water will be provided, but we ask that volunteers supply their own reusable water bottle.
- The Lands Council has informed me that there is a possibility that we will finish early with the planting (this is the first year they have organized this event), if this happens then people are free to leave, although I would suggest sticking around for the Wangari Maathai Memorial Planting, perhaps we can set up a game of capture the flag if we finish a bit early with the planting.
After-Planting (at roughly 11:30) the Bus will be heading to the Dr. Wangari Maathai Memorial & Dedication Ceremony:
“As part of this monumental day, The Lands Council is excited to pay tribute to an amazing woman who spent her life enlightening communities through her environmentalism, tree-planting efforts and overall spirit. Though Dr. Wangari Maathai passed away on September 25th, Spokane – and the hundreds of volunteers involved with Reforest Spokane Day will have something to remember her by – a dedicated 6’ tall Ponderosa pine that will be planted at Finch Arboretum this Saturday. The Dedication Ceremony will take place following our planting efforts, at 12:30 p.m. at Finch Arboretum.” This should be an incredible event and a wonderful way to honor a wonderful woman.
We will then head back to campus, hopefully arriving back at about 1 PM.
THANK YOU AGAIN for volunteering your time and efforts.
Zag Dining Student Manager of Sustainability